Sometimes it's hard to determine if a guy or gal you are interested in is a true Christ follower. How many of us have heard the stories of wives who thought they were marrying a Christian man (or vice versa) only to have the truth revealed some months after the wedding date?
Here's a list of identifying characteristics I found mysteriously couched in Lee Strobel's "Surviving a Spiritual Mismatch":
1. Can he describe a specific time or era during which he received Christ's gift of eternal life?
2. If he were put on trial on a charge of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict him?
3. Can you tell that the Holy Spirit lives inside of him?
4. When he talks about the future, is there room for God?
5. What does he choose to feed his mind?
6. Where does the compass of his heart naturally point?
7. Does he exhibit the traits of Jesus?
8. Who does he spend his time with?
9. Does he possess humility?
10. Is he honest about the little things in life?
11. Through what lenses does he see the world?
12. What is his attitude toward other people?
13. Does he take responsibility for his actions?
14. Does he care about bringing the gospel to those who haven't heard it?
15. Is he willing to postpone immediate gratification so that greater satisfaction can come in the future?
Don't let those rose-colored glasses fool you. God has our best interest at heart with his command not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. (2 Cor 6:14)