Friday, July 2, 2010
Detecting Desperation in Dating
Everyone wants to be needed - to some degree. But did you ever date someone who was more ... desperate? How do you differentiate between appearing interested and desperate? Well, we did another informal poll on Facebook and received these great comments:
1. When they tell you they love you on the 1st date.
2. Contacting the other person too frequently.
3. When they're very needy, and tell you their life story in the first hour, and don't know how to have a lunch date and take it for what it is OR a cup of coffee....... In too big of a hurry calling constantly saying, "what are you doing?"( when you called me about 2 hrs. ago).....
4. Show up at the first date with their parents in tow... "Just wanted you to meet mom & dad..."
5. When they think you’re “official” after one date even though you don’t even know their last name!! True story… *sigh*
6. How about telling you they love you within the first month of dating? Or in the first month telling you they want to give you the best years of your life that you have left on this earth?
7. Turning to non-Christians to date because they aren't finding any Christians they click with.
8. Throwing yourself COMPLETELY into the other person, neglecting God, friends and family for the sake of your relationship with that person.
9. The "can't be alone syndrome."
10. Someone who is trying to be a little too intimate on the first date kiss.
11. Taking a "less than" relationship and trying to make it work.
12. Laughing at everything you say, agreeing with everything you say, liking everything you like.
If you have any of these symptoms, perhaps it's time to pull back from dating and lean back into your walk with Christ. He must have first place in your heart. Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.