Monday, July 18, 2011

The Green Eyed Monster


Today's blog post is taken from the weekly group that fasts and prays on Mondays for singles desiring marriage. To read the article in its entirety and to subscribe, click here.

Dear Fasters & Prayers,

As I write to remind you about our fasting and praying this week, I’m so encouraged. In the last 3 weeks, we’ve had over 35 new subscribers–literally from around the world. It is encouraging to see so many women taking the energy of their (our) longings and putting it into what we by faith choose to believe truly matters: fasting and praying for the courage and capacity to become the men and women that God has designed us to be, and for new marriages to emerge. This conviction is why we keep fasting and praying, particularly during what would be Monday lunch.

This week, Amy–who is now writing with us regularly–sent me the draft of her future post. The title read: “The Green Eyed Monster, a.k.a. Amy.” My mouth dropped open when I read it. Just two days before, I had confessed in a conversation with my parents, that I had been feeling envy deepening in my bones. It had been creeping up slowly–a strange, icky, hollow, furrowed-brow, tight-necked feeling as I anticipated time with certain friends–mentorees and their babies, old friends from middle school and their children or tales of their children: people who seem to be getting what I have not in certain areas (yet). When one long-time, beloved girlfriend told me about this awesomely-fun thing that had happened with her daughter, something in me clutched. Instead of rejoicing with her, I had to swallow an internal cringe (which does NOT taste good) and will myself into kindness. I didn’t have the word for it at the moment, but I was tasting ENVY, envy which when ingested, rots the bones and turns one into the Green Eyed Monster (Proverbs 14:30)...

Have a great week!

~ Linda
Cache' Connections

No comments: