Friday, October 22, 2010

Bye Bye Dream Girl or Guy?


I'm reading "Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On" by Stormie Omartian - what a great book of encouragement for those of us who are living for God ... but just not sure where we are going!

I came across the following paragraph and of course thought of many of our single friends:

I know a young man who had a dream of the girl he wanted to marry. He had her every detail figured out, from the way she looked to the way she talked and thought. However, he could never find anyone who lived up to his dream. And I didn't have the heart to tell him that there was no girl on earth who could. Or would want to, for that matter. After years of frustrated searching, he was finally led to the feet of the Lord where he surrendered that dream to God. Right after he did, he met his future wife and married her within that year. When I met her, I found it amusing that she was nothing like the dream girl he had previously described to me. But she was perfect for him because she was the one God had chosen.

Does this sound familiar? The author tells us that we need to surrender all of our dreams to the Lord. She goes so far as to say we need to lay them down at His feet and let them die. If they were His dreams, He will give them new life. Wouldn't we rather have God's dreams for us become our realities? One thing we urge our mentoring clients to do is keep an open mind and let God lead. Do you need to say goodbye to your dream guy or girl and let God show you His plans?

~Linda
Cache' Connections

No comments: