Friday, March 21, 2008

What's a Gal Like You... Doing In a Business Like This?


I will always say, all I thought we were doing was going shopping. Kim and I, after having been mere acquaintances over the years, got re-connected late 2006 when we both found ourselves at a new-to-us church in Peoria. We immediately got along "like peas and carrots" and found ourselves on our first "friend date," which was a shopping trip on 12/31/06. It was then that she sprung on me this desire to be a matchmaker. The idea immediately resonated somewhere within me. Yes! That sounds like fun! (I later found out I was about the 10th person she tried this on. Finally, God led her to the right person.)

Being a real estate closing agent by day is not really what most would call fun. (Any closers out there? Feel the pain, 'specially at the end of the month??) What I enjoy about that work is interracting with the people. It is the paperwork and stress that get in the way! So, working with single Christians sounded like fun. Also, having recently returned from a Joyce Meyer's women's conference where we were repeatedly encouraged to "get out of the boat," I felt like I should give due consideration to this "desire or destiny," as Kim puts it. After all, Mr. or Ms. Right could be sitting in church 10 miles down the road from you, and how would you ever connect? So, our First Annual Business Meeting for (now unnamed dating service) was held around Kim's kitchen table on January 1, 2007. We started jotting down ideas of how all this would work. We began researching the needs of Christian singles by reading several books. It was a crazy time, as we decided to launch on Valentine's Day - 6 weeks out! In that short time, we had to contract a website designer, legal needs, advertise, etc. It's been a crazy ride, but it has also been an amazing journey. The photo above is Kim and I at one of our local events for Christian singles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Feel free to leave a comment here.